Superfood Seeds: How to include them in your diet?
Over the years, many people have discovered that their body lacks an appropriate amount of certain nutrients. Such deficiencies can lead to health problems. However, instead of taking chemical supplements, one should upgrade their regular diet. What we eat normally, doesn't provide us with enough nutrition anymore. Hence we need natural supplements that we can add to our diet.
People who don't want to compromise on their regular meals and still want added nutrition can add seeds to their meals. Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, etc., are a few to name. These tiny seeds contain more nutrients than regular snacks. They can significantly improve the nutrient balance in your diet while being flexible enough to blend and mix into most of the meals.
You can even eat them raw as a snack or make a trail mix with nuts and fruits. However, there are a few ways that you can include them in your recipes. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Mix them into your cereal: Breakfast cereals are a healthy and convenient way to start your day. Mostly they are eaten with cold or warm milk and helps you feel fuller for a good part of the day. Seeds are nutty in flavor and crunchy in texture and make a great combination with breakfast cereals. Adding them to your cereal bowl along with milk can increase the nutritional value of your meal. They are small in size and do not have a distinct taste, which is why including them won't change your breakfast much by taste. Sunflower seeds and watermelon seeds are great options if you are thinking of adding seeds to your breakfast.
- Add them in a smoothie or shakes: Smoothies are a delicious way to consume healthy foods like vegetables and fruits. Smoothies don't have a specific recipe as one can make them with their favorite ingredients. They help you keep hydrated all day and make you feel fuller for a longer time. If made with the right ingredients, they are a great way to boost energy. Seeds blended into smoothies along with ingredients like fruits and dry nuts make a fulfilling health drink. Chia seeds go exceptionally well with fruit smoothies. They are an excellent source of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, iron, and calcium. They are mild in taste and hence very versatile.
- Bake with them: Who doesn't love freshly baked cookies or muffins? It doesn't matter if you are a sweet tooth or not because resisting warm, puffy, crunchy, or spongy baked items is very hard. You can make your baked food more nutritious by adding seeds to them. Since baked products are not a healthy choice to eat, you can modify them so that you can enjoy their delicious taste and get nutrition out of them. Pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds go well as an ingredient in muffins. They have a mildly nutty taste and crunchy in texture. Not to forget the immense nutritional value they bring.
- Sprinkle them over your salad: A salad made with fresh and juicy veggies and fruits can be the healthiest thing on your table. If made right, it can be a very nutritious meal. One can get their daily share of leafy greens, herbs, beans, nuts, etc. It is a very light meal that helps you keep active and energized. Adding seeds to your salad, will give it a crunchy texture and make it more nutritional. Seeds blend great with fresh veggies and nuts and provide the salad an exquisite element. Flax seeds can be a great addition to your salad as they are rich in omega acids and fiber.
- Use them in oatmeal: Although everyone agrees that oats are good for health, very few people like eating them. Bland oatmeal can be interesting if you add fruits, nuts, and seeds to it. Fruits like strawberries and blackberries will enhance the taste and make it enjoyable while the oats still act as a base. In addition to this, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds can make this meal crunchy and add a slightly nutty flavor. They prove to be very healthy topping as they are full of antioxidants and nutrients. Eating seeds can help to fulfill the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of many nutrients.
- Grind and add them to soup: One of the many benefits of eating seeds is that they are very versatile. They can be easily added to your meals and benefit you with their nutrition. These tiny seeds with a mild taste are power-packed with nutrients like fiber, calcium, protein, magnesium, zinc, etc. They are a great source of essential fats. You can grind them and mix them in your soup to make it healthier. The powdered seeds can easily blend into a hot or cold soup and not affect its taste. No matter what type of soup it is, you can add your choice of seeds to it and boost your nutrition.
Summing it up.
Seeds are topping the list of superfoods because of their immense health benefits. They are power-packed with nutrients and antioxidants that make them super healthy. Munching seeds is considered a new health trend. It is about time you adjust them in some of your recipes to attain more nutrition from your diet.