6 Healthy Foods - Great for Weight Loss
In times where obesity has become a serious health concern worldwide, maintaining a healthy weight has become very important. Obesity results in an increased risk of heart diseases, diabetes, and cancer. There are many weight loss tips and hacks on the internet which guarantee that you will shed those extra few kgs in no time. But in reality, it mainly boils down to the food you eat. Your body gets energy from the food you eat, so it is important to eat a balanced diet that contains all the nutrients including fats in an appropriate amount.
Our food choices have become very unhealthy due to the dominance of western culture. To be fit and healthy again, we have to trace back to the healthy Indian foods that our ancestors use to eat.
When it comes to weight loss, few foods can help you to not only maintain the weight but also to reduce it. Some of them are described in detail below.
- Green tea: Green tea is said to be one of the healthiest drinks. It is loaded with antioxidants and has many health benefits. Unlike tea and coffee, it doesn’t require any form of sugar and is a great aid in weight loss. The antioxidants present in green tea promote fat burning and increases the number of calories you burn. It breaks down the fat for it to be used as energy. You can have 2 to 3 cups of green tea a day to see effective results. Drinking green tea especially before you exercise helps to burn more fat.
- Apple cider vinegar with mother: The health benefits of apple cider vinegar turn out to be one long list. The organic and unfiltered version is called apple cider vinegar with mother. This is a murky solution with acetic acid bacteria – healthy bacteria that supports the functioning of the digestive system. The acetic acid increases fat burning and decreases fat production in the liver. Apart from being beneficial for weight loss, it also lowers down blood sugar and insulin level in diabetic people. You can take one to two tablespoons of it with water, either first thing in the morning or before a meal.
- Nuts: Even though nuts have high calories, people who consume them have a high metabolic rate as compared to people who don’t. Want to know why? It’s because, in addition to calories, they are also high in other nutrients which makes them a wholesome food choice. They have an equally high proportion of protein and fiber which lack in other empty calorie foods. These nutrients can influence your body weight and help you with weight loss. While fiber helps you to stay fulfilled longer, protein boosts metabolism and increases fat burning. Eat nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts, and raisins to have a positive impact on cholesterol, blood sugar, and body mass index.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are considered a superfood because they are one of the most nutritious foods. Being one of the best sources of fiber, they make you feel content for much longer. They are also a great source of calcium, a mineral that not only keeps the bones strong but also supports high metabolic function. They contain zero cholesterol and also the soluble fiber in them helps to reduce the bad LDL cholesterol level. It is very easy to include them in your meals like salads, dressings, bread, muffins, oatmeal, etc. As for combining them with juice or water, make sure they are fully expanded before consuming.
- Jaggery: Excess intake of white sugar is not good for health. It is high in calories and offers very few nutrients. Consuming excess sugar can increase body weight as our body uses sugar as energy and stops burning fat. A great substitute for white sugar is jaggery. It is a natural sweetener and is a very effective aid for weight loss. Jaggery aids in digestion and reduction of water retention, which ultimately helps to manage weight. It is also a rich source of potassium, a mineral that helps in boosting metabolism. Jaggery is the healthiest choice to curb your sugar cravings.
- Peanut butter: Who doesn’t like chunky peanut butter anyway? It is lip-smacking tasty but is also high in calories and fat content. So how does it help with weight loss? Well, peanut butter contains a high amount of monounsaturated fats, which are considered to be “good fats” as they help prevent heart diseases. Peanut butter is equally rich in protein and fiber, which makes it rather fulfilling. It also contains amino acids which help to maintain the blood pressure. Also, despite being high in calories, it has a low glycemic index which means it results in a slower rise in blood glucose. We all know that unstable blood pressure and high blood sugar leads to obesity and other heart conditions.
Summing it up:
It is important to know that the above-mentioned weight loss-friendly foods are just a part of the plan that you need to follow to lose weight. Physical exercise, stress level, hormones, sleeping schedule, and lifestyle are a few other factors that affect your weight. It is important to take care of every factor to lose weight in a healthy way.