Jaggery is also known as “gur” in India is unrefined sugar obtained from raw sugarcane juice. It is commonly used in India for its natural sweetness in a variety of sweet and savoury dishes. Jaggery is increasingly gaining importance in today’s world as a healthy substitute for sugar. Refined white sugar can lead to several diseases. Since we use it every day in various meals, we need to cut down on sugar to remain healthy and active. Thankfully, jaggery provides the same sweetness as sugar and is not harmful to the body. Its nutrition brings several medical benefits as well.
Jaggery is made up of complex carbohydrates. It warms your body and prevents common diseases like cough and cold. It is especially used in winters because it increases body temperature. It is a great source of Vitamin C and iron which are essential nutrients for the body. It helps to increase blood circulation, purifies the blood and cleanses the body. Don’t you want to know more benefits of jaggery to ingrain it into your diet? Here are some of the most popular health benefits of jaggery.
Health benefits of jaggery
- High nutritional profile:- Jaggery is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Along with that, it is also a great source of antioxidants. It contains essential nutrients like potassium, magnesium, iron, and protein. Jaggery is not refined as white sugar and hence it has higher nutritional value than sugar. It is a natural sweetener that provides its rich taste and nutrition to several Indian dishes.
- Detoxes the liver:-One of the most important health benefits that jaggery offers are detoxifying the liver. It cleanses the liver by removing the toxins that harm the liver. Proper functioning of the liver is very important for a normal and healthy body. Regularly consuming jaggery helps to make sure that the liver is cleansed and is functioning properly.
- Boosts immunity:-Jaggery is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. The antioxidants fight the free radicals in the body that damage cells. The free radicals weaken the immune system and make the body prone to diseases. By fighting these radicals jaggery strengthens the immune system so that it can resist disease-causing bacteria and other infections.
- Helps in weight loss:- Jaggery contains calories so it should be eaten in moderation. Then how does jaggery help with weight loss? Well, jaggery is far from those empty calorie foods. It is a healthy and nutritious product that provides several health benefits. Your body needs that nutrition to work better. The potassium found in jaggery helps in the reduction of water retention. This helps you manage your weight in a smart and effective way.
- Controls blood pressure:-Rising and declining blood pressure can weaken your heart. It can increase the risk of several diseases and chances of a heart attack. You can control blood sugar through your diet with the help of jaggery. It contains two important nutrients such as sodium and potassium that help to control blood sugar levels. To see a substantial change in your health, avoid consuming sugar and sugar-based foods and drinks. Substitute sugar in your meals and drinks with jaggery powder.
- Boosts energy:-Jaggery is made up of carbohydrates which means that it is a great source of energy. It provides energy and nutrition that can last you all day. It is a healthy source of energy which means that it gradually passes down the energy. The complex carbohydrates take time to break down and provide energy all day long. Due to this, the blood sugar levels do not rise as fast as they do when you intake sugary products or drinks.
Difference between organic and non-organic jaggery
- Jaggery is indeed very nutritional and comprises of many health benefits. However, not every jaggery is the same. Organic jaggery is made from processing sugarcanes that are organically grown without the use of any harmful pesticides or chemicals.
- The process of making organic jaggery is also very simple. It is not refined and processed with harsh chemicals. It does not go through processes like caramelisation.
- Organic jaggery does not have the presence of any additives like crystals in it. It has a natural sweetness to it and does not include any type of artificial flavouring.
- Organic jaggery does not go through any chemical treatment. It is dark brown in colour. More yellowish colour defines the presence of artificial colour.
- While normal jaggery cannot guarantee the presence of artificial flavours, colour, chemical treatment or processing, organic jaggery is certified by prominent national institutions that guarantee it is 100% organic, pure and natural.
- Organic jaggery has all the nutritional value intact while non-organic jaggery loses its nutrition during the harsh processing. To gain all the benefits of jaggery, you should always opt for the organic option.
Summing it up
Substituting jaggery with sugar is the best thing you can do to improve your health quality and be more active. You can now find organic jaggery and jaggery powder online only at Refresh along with other organic groceries.