5 Remedies for Keeping Dandruff at Bay
Imagine being nicely dressed up for an event and then you find white flakes on all your shoulder and back or an inescapable itching that doesn’t allow you to enjoy the moment. Wouldn’t this be embarrassing and irritating? Well, the presence of dandruff in your scalp can often make you experience this.
Dandruff is a scalp condition, caused by a fungus called Malassezia. Though this fungus is normally found in the scalp, its overgrowth can lead to dandruff. Other causes for its occurrence can be irritated and oily skin, not shampooing enough, dry skin, sensitivity to hair products, or any other skin conditions. Itchy scalp and white flakes are the most common signs of dandruff. It has a presence in about 50% of the population, which makes it one of the most common scalp-related issues. If you have dandruff-prone hair, then it is better to treat your hair with anti-dandruff hair oil.
Types of dandruff:
There are mostly four types of dandruff,
- Dry skin dandruff
- Oily skin dandruff
- Fungus related dandruff
- Disease-related dandruff
Home remedies for dandruff:
If you are the one who is suffering from this problematic scalp situation, then here are few remedies to cure dandruff:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera, a famous soothing agent is also a cool fighter against dandruff. Application of Aloe Vera on scalp and hair doesn’t only make your hair smooth but also keeps your scalp healthy. It contains anti-fungal properties that help in taking care of recurring dandruff and provide relief from irritation due to itchy scalp.
- Neem: Neem leaves are the great gift of nature packed with anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. These properties along with having many benefits of skin are very effective in taking care of dandruff too. It gives huge relief from itchy scalp and redness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar is said to be very helpful in treating severe dandruff. It kills dandruff-causing bacteria and fungus and also restores the pH balance in the scalp. Its acidic content removes dead skin cells from the scalp and reduces flaking. Few drops of Apple cider Vinegar before hair wash can prove very effective for your dandruff-prone scalp.
- Baking soda: An ingredient found in every household, normally used for baking can also be used for treating dandruff. Exfoliation of the scalp is necessary for keeping dandruff away and baking soda helps in gently exfoliating the scalp by removing dead skin cells. It stops the dandruff flakes from forming, reduces redness and itching.
- Applying herbal Anti-dandruff oil: Back in our childhood, we were always insisted by our grandmothers to apply oil regularly for a healthy scalp and gorgeous hair. Applying anti-dandruff oil is one of the easiest ways of getting rid of dandruff. But you should avoid oils filled with chemicals that can further worsen the condition of your hair in the long term. Instead, you should stick with hair oils made with ayurvedic herbs that can help you in getting rid of dandruff naturally along with strengthening your scalp.
Summing it up:
White flakes of snow on your shoulder can be fun to watch but dandruff can definitely be annoying. It’s better to cure it before it turns into severity, which might cause other scalp-related issues like hair fall, hair thinning, or premature graying of hairs. Having dandruff can be frustrating but proper scalp care with the help of the above-mentioned remedies can cure dandruff keeping your scalp and hair healthy.