Many of you would have wondered this in life, what is nutmeg? Nutmeg is undoubtedly one of the most popular spices in the world, with its rich aroma and sweet taste, thus making it a much-valued addition to any dish. It is added to cuisines around the globe to impart an unparalleled flavour. Nutmeg is a spice that has been used for centuries, is native to the East Indies and has been widely used by Europeans.
Nutmeg aka jaifal can be purchased as the whole seed or in grounded form to be stored in a container. Whole nutmeg is approximately the size of an apricot pit. It is mostly consumed in powdered form. Nutmeg powder is used to flavour many kinds of baked goods, confections, puddings, potatoes, meats, sausages, sauces, and vegetables. It tastes nutty and slightly sweet and is an intense spice that has an appetizing aroma. For those who are more sensitive to heat, nutmeg might seem almost spicy.
This blog will provide you with information about the benefits of nutmeg powder on our health, how it can be used in different ways and a few easy recipes with it.
How to use Jaifal powder/Nutmeg powder?
If you're looking to add a little extra flavour to your food, nutmeg powder is a great way to do it. Nutmeg can be used as a seasoning, ingredient or in your DIY skincare routine.
Here are a few ideas on how to use nutmeg powder:
- You can add Nutmeg powder to homemade bakery items like cookies or cake to make them appetizing.
- Nutmeg powder can be combined with other spice powders to prepare popular and flavourous spice blends like garam masala and Indian kitchen king masala.
- It can also be used to make a DIY skincare paste.
- Sprinkle it on top of oatmeal or other breakfast cereals.
- Mix it into yoghurts or smoothies.
- Use it as a seasoning for meat or vegetable dishes.
- Use it in fall dishes, such as ones that feature pumpkin or other winter squashes.
- Nutmeg powder can be consumed with a teaspoonful of honey and can be mixed in fruit juices, amla juice and milk products.
Benefits of nutmeg powder
According to Ayurveda, nutmeg is tridoshic, meaning it can be beneficial for all three body types. Nutmeg is used in Ayurveda to treat a variety of conditions, including digestive problems, insomnia, anxiety, and pain. The benefits which make nutmeg powder a healthy spice are:
- Nutmeg powder has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- It helps to improve cholesterol levels and it is heart-healthy.
- It is a very effective remedy to treat diarrhoea.
- Nutmeg powder when mixed with Amla juice is useful to cure morning sickness, hiccups, and indigestion.
- It’s useful as a detoxifying agent.
- Nutmeg powder has traditionally been used as a brain tonic. It is said to improve memory and concentration and protect against age-related cognitive decline.
- Nutmeg powder can be used as a natural pain reliever. It helps to relieve joint pain, muscle aches, and headaches. Nutmeg is also said to be helpful in relieving menstrual cramps and toothaches.
- Nutmeg powder can help to boost the immune system and fight off infections.
- Nutmeg / Jaiphal might give relief from intestinal gas. Taking Nutmeg / Jaiphal helps you to improve your digestive system because of its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties.
- Jaiphal can also help in the management of various types of cancer.
- Nutmeg is also used as a beauty treatment, as it is thought to help improve the complexion and tone of the skin.
- Nutmeg is also among a few delicious Indian spices that boost immunity during monsoon.
Quick Recipes with Nutmeg powder.
Here are a few easy and instant recipes with the rich taste of Nutmeg powder that can be relished by people of all ages. Whether you're looking for a quick snack or a delicious dinner option, one of these recipes is sure to hit the spot.
- Nutmeg and Honey Oatmeal: Start your day with this healthy and delicious oatmeal recipe. Simply cook your oatmeal as usual, and stir in a teaspoon of nutmeg powder and a tablespoon of honey before eating.
- Nutmeg Roasted Sweet Potatoes: This is a great side dish for any meal. Simply roast your sweet potatoes as usual, and sprinkle with nutmeg powder before serving.
- Nutmeg Spiced Tea: This comforting tea is perfect for chilly evenings. Simply add a teaspoon of nutmeg powder to your favourite tea blend and enjoy.
- Nutmeg Banana Bread: This tasty banana bread gets an extra boost of flavour from nutmeg powder. Add a teaspoon of nutmeg to your favourite banana bread recipe.
- Nutmeg Pumpkin Pie: Add a touch of nutmeg to your pumpkin pie recipe for an extra special dessert.
- Nutmeg Pancakes: These pancakes are perfect for a cozy fall breakfast. Just add a little nutmeg to your pancake batter for a warm and spicy flavour.
- Nutmeg Waffles: Add some powder nutmeg to your waffle batter for a delicious twist on a classic dessert favourite.
- Nutmeg Soup: This soup is perfect for cold days of monsoon. The nutmeg adds just the right amount of warmth and flavour.
Summing it up.
Nutmeg powder has been shown to be popular for a variety of reasons. It is a versatile spice that can be used in several recipes, it has a range of health benefits, and it is relatively affordable. Nutmeg powder is also easy to find in online and offline stores, making it an accessible option for cooks of all levels. If you are someone who hasn’t yet tried the satisfying flavour of this powder, give your recipe a delicious twist with Nutmeg powder.