We all know that rice is one of the most versatile ingredients out there. Whether it’s being used as a side dish or to make a meal more filling, it can be added to just about any dish. In this blog, we’re highlighting some of
the tastiest and easiest recipes you can cook at home with rice. From vegetarian biryani to chana pulav - these delicious dishes can be ready in no time!
Biriyani is one of the most loved Indian dishes throughout the globe. It is rich in flavour and has a tempting aroma that wins hearts every time. Biriyani is a hearty meal but it is limited to non-vegetarians. If you are a loyal
vegetarian, and still want to relish the taste of biriyani, here we have a veg alternative for you.
Let's check out a delicious veg biriyani recipe:
- 3 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 2 bay leaf/ tej patta
2 inch cinnamon stick(dalchini) or 1 tbs cinnamon powder for convenience
- 1 star anise
5 cloves / lavang or ½ tbs clove powder
4 cardamoms (elachi) or cardamom powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste
- 5 beans (chopped)
- 10 florets cauliflower (gobi)
- ¼ cup peas (mattar)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 potato (cubed)
- 3 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup curd/yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
2 tsp Veg Biryani Masala
Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 6 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 20 mint (pudina) leaves (roughly chopped)
- 6 tbsp onions (fried)
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2 tbsp saffron water
- 2 cups water
Steps for making:
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes before using them in the recipe.
For saffron water:
- Take warm water
- soak in a few threads of saffron threads in warm water
For the base of veggies:
- First, in a large cooker heat 2 tbsp ghee.
- Add 2 bay leaf, 2 inch cinnamon, 1 star anise, 5 cloves, 4 cardamoms, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp cumin seeds and saute on a low flame. Then saute chopped onions to a golden brown.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and mixed vegetables like beans, gobi, peas, carrot, potato and mushrooms and saute till all vegetables shrink.
Now add in curd keeping the flame on low. To it, also add ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp biryani masala and salt to taste. keeping the flame on low, mix well till all the spices are mixed
well. Further, add in 3 tbsp coriander leaves and 10 mint leaves.
- As it cooks, add in 2 tbsp fried onions.
- Spread 1½ cups of soaked basmati rice on the veggie, spice and curd blend in the cooker.
- Sprinkle biryani masala powder and Himalayan pink salt on it.
- Then place in coriander leaves, mint and fried onions.
- Additionally, pour in 2 tbsp of saffron water and spread 1 tbsp of ghee.
- pour 2 cups of water from the side of the cooker without disturbing layers.
- Cover the cooker and simmer for 25 minutes or till the rice cooks well.
- Finally, serve veg biryani prepared in a cooker along with raita.
Chana Masala Pulao Recipe:
Channa masala aka kabuli channa, chole or chickpeas are the staple lentils in Indian cuisine. Chana Masala Pulao is such a comforting and versatile dish. You will love this recipe and when paired with plain rice, cucumber and
raita, it tastes awesome. Normally people make chana masala and pulao separately. But this version of Chana Masala Pulao is a very special and unique recipe.
Ingredients of Chana Masala Pulao:
- I tsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- Bay leaf
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 tbsp Cashews and Raisins
- 1 tsp Chhole Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Fried Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Cup Boiled Chickpeas
- 2 Cup Boiled Rice
- Himalaya Pink Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
Steps to make:
- Take ghee/butter in a wide shallow pan.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, garlic paste, onions and green chillies and saute for a minute or until it starts to form an aroma.
- Add cashew nuts, raisins and Chhole Masala, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Fried Onion and stir well to blend all masalas.
- In the pan add chopped tomatoes, boiled chickpeas, boiled rice and some fresh coriander leaves.
- Add a pinch of Himalaya Pink Salt as per taste.
- Lastly, add ½ lemon juice to add some tangy taste to the recipe and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Your Chana Masala Pulao is ready to eat.
Summing it up:
As you can see, making rice dishes at home doesn't have to be difficult. With our easy recipes for vegetable biryani and channa pulav, you can create delicious meals that are sure to please you in no time. With minimal effort,
you can whip up an awesome meal for yourself or your family, without spending too much time in the kitchen. So why not give one of these recipes a try today and enjoy some scrumptious rice-based treats?