Sweet dishes have their own dominance in the Diwali feast. From delightful Kaju katli to satisfying desserts we enjoy the festival of lights with a sweet treat. People who aren’t sweet lovers crave something spicy and flavorous. If you are someone who wants a spicy escape from sweet dishes, here we have a solution for you.
Street food is everyone’s favourite. You can make the most of the festival by preparing instant spicy delicacies at your home and your loved ones will thank you. This blog has quick recipes for the two most loved Indian street foods made with a Dinner roll aka Pav.
VADA PAV RECIPE
Vada pav is a very famous street food originating from Mumbai as fast food that is very easy to cook, and eat. It is full of flavours, fine textures and tastes simply amazing. Vada pav is made of spicy potato filling deep fried in besan batter. It is served with a Dinner roll aka pav. You can make Vada pav at your home with the help of Readymade masala. Vadapav masala is the perfect solution for preparing the most famous Mumbai street ood and enjoying its spicy and authentic taste at home. Here’s a recipe for preparing tempting vada pav on a festive day.
Ingredients of Vada Pav:
- Mustard Seeds.
- Curry leaves.
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli.
- Garlic Paste.
- Turmeric Powder.
- Red Chilli Powder.
- Boiled Potatoes.
- Coriander Leaves.
- Lemon juice.
- Himalayan Pink Salt.
- Gram flour or Besan.
- ½ tbsp Baking Soda.
- ½ tbsp Asafoetida (hing).
- Edible oil/butter.
- 1 tbsp Garlic Chutney.
- ½ tbsp Vada pav Masala.
- Green Coriander Chutney.
- Tomato Ketchup.
- Dinner roll (Pav) slices.
Instructions to prepare Vada Pav
For Preparing stuffing:
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter well. Add curry leaves, green chilli and garlic paste and saute it well. On medium flame, add turmeric powder, degi red chilli powder, and saute for a minute.
- Switch off the flame, add boiled potatoes, coriander leaves, lemon juice, Himalayan Pink Salt. Blend everything well to prepare vada pav stuffing.
- Make a medium size ball of stuffing and keep it aside for further use.
For preparing Batata:
- Besan Batter: In a bowl, add gram flour or besan, salt to taste, baking soda, turmeric powder, asafoetida, water and a small spoonful of oil and mix.
- Heat oil in a kadai, on medium flame.
- Batata Vada: Dip the potato mixture balls into the besan batter till they are well coated, gently slide it into hot oil and fry them until golden brown. Drain them on kitchen paper towels. Make all batata vada this way and set it aside.
For Vada pav:
- Slit the Pav horizontally, making sure one side is intact. Smear green chutney on both inner sides of the pav and spread Dry Garlic Chutney. Place batata vada in the middle of pav.
- In a frying pan put 1/2 tablespoon of edible oil/butter at low flame. Add 1/2 tablespoon of Vada pav Masala into oil/butter. Roast Pav’s inner side and outer side with batata vada for 20-25 seconds.
- Serve with Tomato Ketchup or chutney.
Dabeli is another popular mouth-watering street food from Gujarat. It is spicy and full of delicious flavours. You can prepare this lip-smacking delicacy at your home with a few simple steps. Bring authentic flavour to your home with Ready-made Dabeli masala. Let’s see the recipe for preparing Dabeli at your home:
Ingredients of Dabeli:
- 3 potatoes medium sized - boiled, peeled and mashed.
- Finely chopped onion.
- 1 pinch asafoetida.
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, green chilli paste, red chilli powder, garlic, sugar, amchur powder/ squeezed lemon.
- 2 teaspoon Katchhi Dabeli Masala.
- Himalayan Pink Salt.
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
- 2 tablespoon oil.
- 4 to 5 buns or pav sliced and lightly roasted in some butter or oil.
- ½ cup roasted peanuts.
- ½ cup nylon sev.
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds.
- Garlic chutney as required.
- Tamarind Chutney as required.
For preparing Stuffing:
- In a pan, heat oil and add some cumin seeds. Add some chopped onion. Fry the onions till they become soft and brown.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes to a pan. Add a little asafoetida, green chilli paste, red chilli powder, ginger, sugar, amchur powder/ squeezed lemon and blend them to prepare a smooth mixture.
- Add Katchhi Dabeli Masala & Himalayan Pink Salt as per taste to the mixture and cook for 2 mins. If the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
For Preparing Dabeli:
- Slice the pav-buns into half horizontally keeping one side intact, apply the sweet tamarind chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side.
- Take a spoonful of stuffed masala mixture already prepared and put it on top of one side of bread. Top it up with some roasted peanuts, onions, coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds. To make it spicier you can sprinkle some more Dabeli Masala.
- Spread butter and toast the bun on a hot pan on both sides, until the surface is lightly golden and crisp. Turn off the heat and take pav buns off the pan and place them on a dish.
- Garnish the Dabeli with nylon sev and serve it hot with tomato sauce or ketchup.
Summing it up:
Ready-made masalas make the tough task of preparing mouth-watering delicacies at home much easier and quicker. They are packed with authentic flavours and satisfy your cravings. Try something new this year and celebrate this Diwali with spicy and delicious flavours of Street-foods.