Indian cuisine is a huge part of the world's culinary traditions. There are so many dishes to choose from, each with its own unique blend of spices that make your food delicious and healthy. With the growing popularity of Indian cuisine, more and more people are turning to home cooking, a trend that is only expected to continue. Today it's easier than ever before to cook Indian food at home, all you need is a little masala magic! This blog will guide you on how to make masala spiced meals at home.
What are Masalas?
Masalas are a type of spice blend used in Indian cuisine. They are made from a variety of spices and herbs. They are used to give Indian food a distinctive flavour and aroma. They vary in flavour, taste, colour, aroma and sometimes texture.
Therefore, Masalas are a blend of spices that give Indian cuisine its unique flavour profile.
Indian cuisine includes a variety of dishes and each dish has its own distinct taste. There are several types of masalas designed especially for flavouring a certain dish. Here is a list of a few popular Indian dishes and their special masalas.
- Pav Bhaji Masala: Pav Bhaji is one of the most loved Indian street foods and is enjoyed throughout the nation. Pav Bhaji Masala provides spicy flavour, rich colour and enticing aroma to this savoury dish. It makes the home-made bhaji much more appealing.
- Chole Masala: Chole Masala is a special spice blend that is used to flavour the famous North-Indian dish, Chole. It is a mixture of intense, warm and aromatic spices. It is added to the gravy made for chickpea stew. This masala also helps to provide an authentic taste to the famous dish called chole-bhature. It truly brings out the flavour of the dish.
- Veg Biryani Masala: For all the vegetarians, this masala is a treat. It is an amalgamation of various spices that are fiery, warm and have a strong flavour. Veg Biryani masala offers an authentic flavour to Biryani, a special rice dish made in India with long-grain basmati rice. It is also aromatic in nature and provides its flavour to different types of biryani made all over India.
- Rajma Masala: Rajma Masala is an exotic blend for making a popular Punjabi dish, Rajma. The presence of potent spices adds a delicious flavour and tempting aroma to the homemade dish.
- Dal Makhani Masala: Dal Makhani Masala is a fine blend of spices that can bring delectable flavour to the creamy and satisfying dish. The delicious spice mix helps you in imparting restaurant-style flavour and aroma to your homemade dal makhani.
- Vadapav Masala: Along with the film city, tall skyscrapers, and picturesque beaches, Mumbai is also praised for its Vada pav. Though you can’t always visit the city, you can relish its true flavour from anywhere with Vadapav masala. Vadapav Masala is a delicious ingredient for imparting a spicy taste to this super famous snack. Its spicy flavour and tempting aroma help you to relish the taste of streetside vada pav at home.
- Shahi Paneer Masala: If you're looking for a delicious Indian dish that you can prepare in just a few minutes, then Shahi paneer masala is perfect for you! This dish features melt-in-your-mouth soft paneer cooked in a creamy tomato sauce. Adding this masala serves you the perfect meal to enjoy any time of the day.
Apart from masalas used for flavouring specific dishes, there are others that are versatile and can blend perfectly with every recipe in which they are used. Two such common masalas found in Indian kitchen are:
- Garam Masala: If you want a flavour explosion, try adding garam masala to your recipes. This aromatic blend of spices is popular in Indian cuisine and can add a delicious depth of flavour to dishes.
- Indian Kitchen King Masala: Another spice that can blend nicely with entire Indian cuisine is Kitchen king masala. From delicious sabzis to tempting curries and street food, Indian kitchen king masala can be used in making a variety of dishes. This masala can be sprinkled or used directly while cooking the delicacies.
Benefits of Masalas
- Masalas give Indian food its unique flavour and image throughout the world. Here are a few of its amazing benefits.
- Masalas can add the depth of flavours and oomph to meals, infusing their aroma, taste and intensity.
- You can customize the flavours to fit your own taste.
- They are versatile and can be used in many different ways, depending on your recipe.
- They boost the health benefits of spices by providing antioxidants and other nutrients.
- They are easy to store and use. Just keep them in a jar or storage container, and you're ready for when you need them.
- They can give food a rich colour.
- Masalas contain natural spices that are easy to find and use.
- You can make larger batches, which means less prep time and fewer dishes to clean up.
Summing it up
If you're looking for a flavourful and aromatic meal to spice up your life, adding masalas to it is the perfect option. They often help in preparing passionate, colourful and appetizing dishes that are perfect for sharing. The use of masalas isn’t limited to adding flavours but can be used as condiments or dressings.
Ready-made masalas are the easiest way to relish the flavour of restaurant styles dishes at home. Their addition can make tempting dishes in no time and in the most hassle-free way. So, next time you are exploring a chief inside you, don’t forget to give ready-made masalas a try.